Sunday 9 August 2009

Bitch Got Owned

Bitch Got Owned, Laughing Horse @ Espionage (Venue 185) 17.10 6th - 30th August (not Wednesdays)

What attracted me to this show was initially the title, who would want to miss a show with a name like that? Well, it was that and the fact I saw Sajeela Kershi performing in Brighton some time ago. She has the funnies, I had extremely high expectations.

I was not disappointed.

From a strong and energetic opening, Kershi went on with a well structured, enigmatic show. Yes, there were teething problems with the music and the mic, and, as this was only the second show, with a little bit of the timing too, but the content was so good, you overlooked this.

Kershi's material works on many levels. The jokes keep coming to keep you laughing, but there is also an overarching narrative arc to the show that keeps you thinking. Bitch Got Owned is a phrase you work out for yourself by following the journey of the jokes. I seriously think that this is one for everyone, well, maybe not the kids...

Overall, this is a fresh and interesting show, with plenty of laughs. I honestly did not see one person in the (large) audience that was not laughing.

The show is on at the Laughing Horse Free Festival, and so no money required, unless, like me, you feel it is worth a few quid in the bucket at the end.

Highly recommended.

My vote: 4*

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great, I'm a big fan of Ms Kershi, and can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete